If you’ve been paying attention to the pet health world, you’ve undoubtedly heard that CBD is seemingly the answer to many problems. However, you may have your own concerns that you’d like to address such as how do I give my pet CBD oil? Because of the strong taste and scent, it’s challenging to give the oil to your pet on its own. Here’s how you can infuse CBD products into your dog’s food to make you and your pet’s life easier.
How to Infuse CBD in Your Dog’s Food?
What Is CBD for pets?
Cannabidiol typically referred to as CBD, is a chemical compound that can be found in the cannabis plant. Most CBD products are derived from hemp, which is a type of cannabis that has a high concentration of CBD. While CBD has become a popular health supplement for many humans, it also seems to have important uses for pets in many of the same ways because we both, as a species, have an endocannabinoid system. Both human CBD and pet CBD typically come in both tinctures and capsules, but pet CBD also comes in the form of dog treats.
Is Hemp Legal?
There’s a lot of conversation and confusion around what is and what isn’t legal when it comes to hemp oil for dogs. Hemp, scientifically referred to as cannabis sativa, is legal as long as it doesn’t contain more than 0.3% THC. This is because THC is the psychoactive ingredient that makes other types of cannabis illegal. Hemp is almost exclusively used when deriving CBD oil because it has such a high concentration of CBD while having little to no THC, making it legal to produce and buy.
How Does CBD for Pets Work?
Just like humans, cannabinoids are able to interact with your pet’s endocannabinoid receptors that are located in the peripheral and central nervous systems. The endocannabinoid system has many roles in the body, including pain response, maintenance of the immune system and nervous system, balance of sleep cycles, and proper digestion of food. Because of this, CBD is often referred to as a multi-target supplement since it’s able to target multiple different symptoms across the body.
Benefits of CBD Oil for Pets
CBD oil can provide pets with a wide range of health benefits, just like it can with humans. Some of the many alleged benefits of CBD oil for pets are as follows:
- Promotes relaxation: Pets, especially dogs, frequently suffer from anxiousness caused by separation and noise phobias. Many studies have shown that CBD may support normal emotional balance, including research that shows it’s effectiveness in helping manage normal stress.
- Helps with occasional discomfort: Several studies have shown that CBD oil for pets may help ease aches and discomfort associated with normal daily exercise and activity. This can be especially helpful with aging pets, who often suffer from occasional discomfort.
- Reduces Inflammation: By potentially decreasing the production and release of inflammatory substances, CBD has shown promise in helping maintain normal inflammatory response in both humans and pets.
- Protects the Nervous System: As your pet gets older, they may experience degenerative myelopathy, which is a progressive disease of the spinal cord. CBD has actually shown promise in helping to support normal brain and nerve function, along with supporting normal balanced behavior.
Side Effects of Hemp Oil for Dogs
While CBD hasn’t been shown to lead to any severe side effects, few have reported experiencing the following when giving CBD oil to their dogs:
- Dry Mouth
- Lowered Blood Pressure
If you notice your dog exhibiting any of these symptoms, stop giving them their current dosage of CBD oil and either bring it down or temporarily halt treatment altogether (depending on the severity of the symptom). Consult with your vet if the reaction is severe.
How to Infuse CBD in Your Dog’s Food
Once you’ve decided that you’d like to start giving your dog or cat a daily dose of CBD oil, your first instinct may be to mix it into their food. However, be careful with this: some foods (like wet foods) may not mix well with the oil, separating and creating an off-putting taste and smell for the pet. Here are some ways that you can infuse CBD into your pet’s food effectively:
- Mix With Fish Oil: By using fish oil, you’ll be masking the scent and taste of the CBD oil while adding it to an ingredient that can be easily put into many types of wet food. Mix in their daily dose of CBD oil with a fish-based oil, then mix that into their meal.
- Add to Dry Food: If you’re feeding your pet dry dog food, you can actually add hemp oil for dogs directly into it. This is because most dry pet foods actually mask the taste and texture of the CBD oil, meaning that your pet ingests their daily dose without even noticing.
- Use CBD Treats: There is a wide variety of treats that have already been infused with CBD oil, so you don’t have to worry about adding the oil in yourself! CBD pet treats come in all forms, including crunchy treats, soft chews, and CBD-infused peanut butter.
Simple CBD Recipes for Pets
If you’d prefer to cook your own CBD-infused treats for your pets, check out these three simple recipes to get started:
Frozen Peanut Butter Yogurt Treats
This recipe is easy, no baking required, and perfect for relieving your pet on a hot summer day while getting them their daily dose of CBD.
- 1 teaspoon of CBD oil
- 1 cup of peanut butter
- 32 ounces of vanilla yogurt
- Microwave the peanut butter on high for 30 seconds, then stir. Repeat this until the peanut butter has melted and is easy to pour.
- Combine the peanut butter with the CBD oil and yogurt, stirring thoroughly to assure everything is mixed evenly.
- Pour this mixture into a non-stick ice cube tray or silicone molds.
- Leave the tray in the freezer for two hours until the treats are frozen.
Sweet Potato Dog Treats
This recipe combines the great health benefits of CBD oil for pets with the benefits of sweet potato, all while having a sweet flavor that your pets will love.
- 1 teaspoon of CBD oil
- 2 cooked sweet potatoes
- ½ cup of coconut flour
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons of water
- As you preheat your oven to 350 degrees, mix all of the ingredients until combined well. You should be reaching a clay-like consistency with your dough.
- Form the dough into balls that are about one inch in diameter; then, flatten them until about a ¼ inch thick.
- Place the treats onto a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake the treats for 20 minutes, then let cool.
Grain-Free Apple Dog Treat
This recipe is a great alternative if your dog has grain allergies or sensitivities, with the added sweet flavor of apple.
- 1 teaspoon of CBD oil
- 1 ½ cup of coconut flour
- 1 ½ cup of peanut butter
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- 1 cup of applesauce
- As you preheat the oven to 350 degrees, mix all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Use your hands to form the dough into small balls.
- Placing the dough between parchment paper, proceed to use a roller to flatten the balls out until they’re about a ¼ inch thick.
- Cut out the treats using a 2-inch cookie cutter, then place the treats onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, then let cool.
What to Look for in a Pet CBD Product
When looking for a CBD product for your pet, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind:
- Look for organic products. CBD products that aren’t organic may have pesticides, solvents, or fungicides that can harm your pet. The best CBD oil for pets will always state in detail that the product is organic.
- Make sure you’re buying from a reputable seller. The manufacturer of the CBD oil you intend to buy from should be able to supply a certificate of lab analysis that proves their CBD has the amount that they claim is in the product. This is also important to assure that there’s no THC in the product; a company may say that they have the “best CBD oil for pets,” but may not be legitimate without documented proof.
- Consider buying CBD tinctures. While CBD treats are convenient and easy to give your pets because they taste great, it’s better to buy a CBD oil tincture in the long run. This is because you’ll have complete control over the exact dosage your pet is getting, making it easier for you to assure that they’re getting the right amount to garner the benefits you’re looking for.
Infusing CBD oil and products into your dog’s food can be an excellent way for your pet to get their daily dose of cannabinoids. CBD potentially offers a wide variety of uses, from helping animals cope with external stress to supporting healthy digestion. In addition to adding CBD products into your dog’s food, you can also make CBD-infused dog treats from your own kitchen with some really simple recipes. When looking for a CBD product to start using for your dog, be sure you’re getting the highest quality and avoid any illegitimate or unsafe companies.